- We believe that skilled and passionate school leadership is the key to educational equality and school transformation.
- Transforming school leadership is one of CMSD’s key reform strategies. Strong instructional leaders in every school will help deliver on our mission to prepare every child for college and a career.
- CMSD’s Aspiring Principal Academy seeks visionary, entrepreneurial, passionate leaders who are eager to assume principal roles and dramatically increase outcomes and opportunities for CMSD students, families, and schools.
- The CMSD, in partnership with the NYC Leadership Academy, has designed an innovative, standards-based Aspiring Principal Academy that will prepare future principals to transform under-performing schools in Cleveland. A small, very selective cohort will advance their skills in change management and instructional leadership through intensive experiential and problem-based learning over 12 months.
The CMSD Aspiring Principals Program (APP) has three distinct phases.
A five-week Summer Intensive engages participants in a standards-based curriculum that simulates the actual challenges of a Cleveland Metropolitan School District principal. The anticipated start date of the Summer Intensive is June 26, 2017 (subject to change).
Participant serve an eleven-month, school-based residency under the mentorship of an experienced CMSD principal.
Participants spend the summer transitioning successfully into school leadership positions. New principals are supported by a coach during their first year.
- It’s innovative. The program is uniquely focused on preparing transformational leaders for urban schools. Participants have the opportunity to make an immediate impact during a year-long residency.
- It’s rigorous. Participants are held to the highest standards for selection and performance. High expectations are coupled with ongoing assessment and individualized support.
- It’s practical and comprehensive. Participants develop high-level skills through experiential and integrated learning grounded in transformational and instructional leadership.
- It’s collaborative. Participants develop rich, enduring professional relationships with other future school leaders in their small, select cohort, while also building strong relationships with mentor principals and coaches.
- It’s reflective. Participants become reflective about their personal leadership and consistently seek feedback in order to grow and have impact.
- 12-month program, with salary and benefits, begins June 26, 2017 (subject to change)
- 1-year paid principal residency ($75,000)
- Eligible to earn an Ohio Alternative Principal License
- Five-year service commitment to CMSD (includes Residency year)
APP participants are evaluated on a pass-fail basis. They must meet rigorous performance standards to progress to each successive program phase. Graduates commit to serving the CMSD public schools for a minimum of five years. The program is led by principals and principal supervisors trained in our unique, hands-on approach to school leadership development.